Saturday 5 September 2009

Back in the saddle

Hey all,

Today I spent the afternoon working on a song for a new band project I've started up. I've been threatening to do this for years, and never quite had enough time. Or at least that was my excuse. Then about two months ago I started getting the itch real bad. Apart from a few bits of session work I haven't played in a full band since 2005 (I think). I've had a few attempts at writing some songs but nothing ever clicked, everything seemed a bit weak.
So today I got together with my friend Steve and we bashed out the structure for a new song and I can't believe how much I enjoyed it! As an engineer/producer I've worked with many different artists and many different genres and always thought that I was satisfying my creative needs but I realise now that I was kidding myself. I became an engineer through being a musician not the other way round and today I started to see all the creative possibilities that my studio has to offer. Even though I use this equipment every day it was only when I started thinking about the kit relative to my own music that I regained a lot of my enthusiasm for recording that i didn't even realise that I'd lost!
So I guess todays He Man morality lesson is to make sure you keep doing your own thing as well as your other work. Here's a picture of Steve to prove it all happened.



Ta ra then,

Kev.

Posted from the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment