Wednesday 20 March 2013

Open wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!

Hey all,

Recently i've been doing some of that there mixing for various people, and due to budget constraints i've had to work 'in the box' (that basically means it's all done within the computer), and found myself once more incredibly frustrated at the lack of width that ITB mixes have. Some of you people far cleverer than me may know the reason for this - but when Pro Tools is coded someone has to make a decision as to how the panning laws are used. Maybe it's just in my mind, but here's a test if you have access to a half sharp analogue desk - take a mono source, and pan the source 100% left (or right if you prefer), then pan the source in increments of 10% back to centre. Repeat the same test with the analogue desk and tell me what you hear. I hear that the analogue desk (I was using an SSL G Series something or other) does what you expect it to, Pro Tools does not. Pro Tools feels like it is making very little difference then will jump position. Very annoying. 

Basically this is a blog asking for someone to buy me an analogue studio:)

Kev. 

No comments:

Post a Comment